Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wessonality!

I am still going through old advertisements in this collection. Last time I wrote about a product that doesn't exist anymore, although I am sure there are similar devices out there right now. This time I am writing about one that still is recognized and used today.

Growing up, I remember the old Wesson Oil ads with Florence Henderson singing about “Wessonality”. This phrase came long after Wesson Oil first came onto the scene as a cottonseed oil created by a chemist. Today, Wesson no longer carries its original product and has expanded into other types of oils instead. The advertisements and the products have changed over time, but Wesson continues to be sold in stores.

This is one of the advertisements I cam across in the collection. It is from 1920. If you go to the Wesson oil website, they have links to some of their other old commercials and advertisements. It's too bad that they left out the ads with Florence and her Wessonality.

http://www.wessonoil.com/the4oils.jsp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesson_cooking_oil


No comments:

Post a Comment